A small little survey

Jeremy P. Mann jeremy at bioc09.v19.uthscsa.edu
Thu Jun 21 13:28:16 PDT 2001

On Thu, 21 Jun 2001, Jared Hodge wrote:

> The questions:
>
> What is your hardware setup (processor, motherboard, network, etc.)?

20 dual PIII 500, 256 megs RAM, SuperMicro P6DBE, Intel EtherExpress Pro
100, 3com 100 switch

> Did you have any problems with the hardware or configuration?  What is
> your evaluation of the cause and solution?

Only problem so far has been the PBS setup. Condor, Antsd, MPI and PVM
work fine.

> Are you pleased with the performance and reliability of your cluster?
> Please explain.

Oh yes.. Only problems that have occured in 1.5 years in use, is 1 P6DBE
power pin overheated and burnt the power connector. Ordered a replacement
and its been working fine ever since. I would also consider a better
cooling system than leaving the cases off.

> What has been your experience with the following hardware and financial
> tradeoffs (assuming you've had some experience with them)?
> Intel vs. AMD processors:

Strictly Intel for now but we are thinking about ordering a dual Athlon
from VA Linux for testing to see if it will handle a clustering load.

--
Jeremy Mann
jeremy at bioc09.v19.uthscsa.edu