Redhat 7.1 rpc problem

Lew E. Lefton llefton at math.gatech.edu
Tue Jun 19 05:50:57 PDT 2001

On Tue, 19 Jun 2001, Georgia Southern Beowulf Cluster Project wrote:

> I'm trying to see if anyone else is having problems with RH7.1 and
> portmap.  In particular, yp services do not seem to be registering
> correctly and using rpcinfo takes forever to report anything.  Has
> anyone else noticed anything strange?   Also, it seems that if you leave the
> system alone for about 5 hours it corrects itself.

A default install of RH7.1 includes a firewall.  If you use the "medium"
configuration (which I think is the default...), NFS mounts will fail.
I'll bet you are having a similar issue.  You can deactivate the firewall
by typing firewall-config (as root) and clicking on deactivate.  You can
also modify the firewall rules, but this is the wrong list for that
discussion, unless you modify your firewall rules with liquid nitrogen
;-).

Cheers,
Lew Lefton

| Lew Lefton, IT Director         | Phone:     (404) 385-0052           |
| School of Mathematics           | FAX:       (404) 894-4409           |
| Georgia Institute of Technology | e-mail:    llefton at math.gatech.edu  |
| Atlanta, GA  30332-0160         | http://www.math.gatech.edu/~llefton |