(no subject)

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Tue Jun 19 07:26:23 PDT 2001

On Tue, 19 Jun 2001, Georgia Southern Beowulf Cluster Project wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to see if anyone else is having problems with RH7.1 and
> portmap.  In particular, yp services do not seem to be registering
> correctly and using rpcinfo takes forever to report anything.  Has
> anyone else noticed anything strange?   Also, it seems that if you leave the
> system alone for about 5 hours it corrects itself.

Is this just after installation or all the time?  Our systems guy
noticed that there is some insanity in the order that yp comes up at
boot/install time.  IIRC, a name resolution is requested with NIS first
in nsswitch.conf but YP not yet running, so you have to wait for a
timeout before the boot concludes.  It could be disentangled, but I think
it involved installing some scripted magic.  Once NIS was correctly
bound the problem went away and never recurred.

I don't recall any problem with the portmapper, although there may well
be one.  Our 7.1 systems (which are using NIS) are all functioning
pretty well.  Our biggest single problem with 7.1 seems to be that quota
doesn't work yet, which is currently blocking our upgrading any but
selected systems.  It's running on my Athlon cluster though, pretty much
flawlessly so far.  It's also running on most of my home systems (I
still haven't upgraded my main server, but it is more from trying to
pick an auspicious time than from fear that anything will break).  I
like it.  It's not shockingly different, but the software is becoming
ever more polished.

2.4 also seems to be working pretty well, at least for me.  I've had 16
nodes up for 10.5 days under load, and the only reason it isn't a week
longer is that we had a scheduled power outage 10.5 days ago.  I haven't
run any really agressive benchmarks on it to see if 2.4 is giving better
results than 2.2 did for numerical code, but eventually I will.

   rgb