partitioning HD for use of swap & for booting

Greg Lindahl lindahl at conservativecomputer.com
Fri Jun 1 09:29:04 PDT 2001

On Fri, Jun 01, 2001 at 05:59:00PM +0200, Bogdan Costescu wrote:
> On Fri, 1 Jun 2001, Robert G. Brown wrote:
>
> > I've heard that 2x memory is the MINIMUM recommended for the
> > 2.4 kernels for performance reasons.
>
> This was specifically mentioned when 2.4.0 was launched as it's an
> important difference w.r.t. 2.2 line.

Actually, what was said is that you should either have zero swap, or
2x real memory. The kernel isn't as good at finding the least active
pages, so you can't play the same game many of us played in 2.2,
giving the kernel a tiny swap area just to page out a few pages from
system daemons that don't wake up very often.

As for 2.2 vs. 2.4 in general, 2.4 does have some nice improvements,
and 2.2 has also had some stability problems in the NFS code. So
neither is a clear winner, alas.

-- g