Supermicro LE vs HE-SL chipsets

Donald B. Kinghorn kinghorn at pqs-chem.com
Fri Jan 26 10:48:41 PST 2001

> The BIOS allows you to twiddle with the CAS memory paramaters.  At this point,
> we have not determined if CAS 2 versus CAS 3 memory makes any difference on
> a ServerWorks based board.  Has anyone made this determination?  I would
> love to hear feedback.

On the 370DLE motherboard we saw a nice speedup on our quantum chemistry codes when we tweaked all of the memory
settings up a notch from the bios optimal defaults (cas3->cas2). This is with Micron cas2 pc133 256MB modules ...
The results depend on how the jobs used memory and ranged from no improvement to over %12 improvement. ... So, your
mileage may vary. Best thing to do is get a motherboard and some good quality memory and try it on the codes you
want to run to see if the extra cost of the cas2 memory is worth it to you.

-Don