Supermicro LE vs HE-SL chipsets

Ray Muno muno at
Fri Jan 26 07:40:03 PST 2001

We tested different things on a few HE-SL and LE based boards.  In the default
setup, we found the LE to be faster than the HE-SL.  After tweaking settings
on the HE-SL board, things improved and pushed the HE-SL ahead of the
LE based machines.  We ran a variety of tests, both benchmarks and our
own codes.

We did our testing remotely with a very cooperative vendor (Atipa-DCG).

On the SuperMicro board, there is a "use optimal" setting which improved
things over the default.

The BIOS allows you to twiddle with the CAS memory paramaters.  At this point,
we have not determined if CAS 2 versus CAS 3 memory makes any difference on
a ServerWorks based board.  Has anyone made this determination?  I would
love to hear feedback.