Apps & Design

Alan Ward award at mypic.ad
Sat Jul 1 00:10:34 PDT 2000

Machine translation is a good example of a non-parallelizable
task. We (people) are not parallel machines, and don't think
that way. Instead, our speech is full of cross-references: from
one part of a sentence to another part, between sentences,
between paragraphs, plus all the external references (e.g. cultural)
you can think of. So to translate a text, you cannot break it up
into little bits, but must treat it as a whole.

It is failing to understand this that makes most translation software
fail miserably.

Best regards,
Alan Ward