Beowulf cluster

webmaster webmaster at
Sat Aug 26 02:38:42 PDT 2000

I have been thinking the exact same thing and have a number of resources to
make up such a mounting system. How many boards do you want to put into it?
I will also talk to an engineer friend so that one power supply can power n
boards to keep down the heat as well as mounting some large fans.

Terry Girouard
webmaster at
PO Box 8803
Burlington, VT 05401

-----Original Message-----
From: beowulf-admin at [mailto:beowulf-admin at]On Behalf
Of James Alton
Sent: Friday, August 25, 2000 6:03 PM
To: beowulf at
Subject: Beowulf cluster

I'm looking to build a cheap beowulf cluster. I need it to fit into a
19" rackmount enclosure.
I was wondering if anyone had any good sources on a very simple way
to mount a motherboard
into the 19" form. I need a piece of metal (bare shelf) that has
raised places with holes
to mount a standard ATX motherboard, and on the same piece of metal,
perhaps 2-4 3.5 inch devices.
As well, there should be holes that make this piece of metal look
like cheese. (This is for air
flow.) Also, there has to be an area to mount an ATX power supply. I
am willing to pay 20-40 bucks
per piece. This seems to be way cheaper than an enclosed node system,
each enclosure costs like
$250? This seems outrageous for a piece of metal and power supply. If
possible, I would also like
the motherboard mount to be able to slide out. If no one has any
information on this,
I would even consider taking a metal shop class, or getting
commercial production for such a
bare motherboard rackmount. It seems like something there is a great
need for.

:James Alton
jalton at

Version: PGPfreeware 6.5.3 for non-commercial use <>

Beowulf mailing list
Beowulf at