[scyld-users] Upgrading the Linux on SCYLD

Donald Becker becker at scyld.com
Mon Dec 8 11:04:00 PST 2003

On Sat, 6 Dec 2003, Gregg Germain wrote:

> I have installed the shareware SCYLD Beowulf system which uses RH
> Linux 6.2.

That's a quite old release.

>  I'd like to know if I can upgrade the Linux to more modern versions
> without disturbing the Scyld setup.

The kernel and libraries have performance enhancements and cluster
extensions.  For instance, Scyld added LFS (Large File Summit) support,
which was not in the 2.2 kernels or libraries of that time.  There are
hooks for the BProc system, which has changed its interface over
time.  We've written cross-compatible libraries, but only for a subset
of the functions.

There were many other bug fixes and performance enhancements we added,
but most are either now incorported in the standard package releases or
are transparent if missing.

Donald Becker				becker at scyld.com
914 Bay Ridge Road, Suite 220		Scyld Beowulf cluster systems
Annapolis MD 21403			410-990-9993