Driver problem

Donald Becker becker@cesdis1.gsfc.nasa.gov
Thu Feb 18 19:36:01 1999

On Thu, 18 Feb 1999, Jeremy Parsons wrote:

> I have a realtek 8139 pci nic and can not seem to get the module to
> load.  I am not a linux pro but I have done this in the past.  I have
> loadable module support enabled in my kernal (2.0.36) and I have the
> Realtek 8129/8139 checked as "M"
>
> after saving I compile with "make dep; make clean;make zlilo;make
> modules;make modules_install"
>
> It installs the new kernel and the new module directory which has the
> rtl8139.o under it but nothing loads when the system is booting.
>
> What am I doing wrong???

Test with
  insmod rtl8139
Make permanent with
  echo "alias eth0 rtl8139" >> /etc/conf.modules

(Your distribution likely has a friendlier way of accomplishing this.)

Donald Becker					  becker@cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov
Code 930.5, Goddard Space Flight Center,  Greenbelt, MD.  20771
301-286-0882	     http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/people/becker/whoiam.html