[netdrivers] Problem with DFE-580TX and DFI-ACP mobo model G5M100N

Tristan DEFERT tristan.d at alphamosa.fr
Mon May 22 06:21:43 PDT 2006

Hi list,

I got problems running a DLINK DFE580-TX multiports ethernet card
together with G5M100-N DFI-ACP motherboard.
This mobo contains:
* Celeron-M processor
* 64 bit host data bus and 32 bit addressing
* Intel 855GME chipset
* Intel 855GME graphic memroy controller hub
* Intel 82801DB I/O controller hub
* 4 Mbit Award BIOS
* ACPI v1.0a
* SMI
* Integrated 82562EM fast Eth controller
* Intel 82551QM fast Eth controller

I first suspected a software problem, i'm running Linux Debian with
2.6.16 kernel. I tried some kernel parameters to solve the problem:

APIC
noapic
apic=verbose

ACPI
acpi=off

IRQ routing
pci=pirqmask

I always got the same problem: IRQ are correctly routed, but memory is
mapped and IRQ is enabled ONLY for the first ethernet port.

* with APIC:
"cat /proc/interrupts"
209:   69      IO-APIC-level        eth0
=> eth0 gets IRQ 209, level triggered

* without APIC
11:     213    XT-PIC                    eth0
=> eth0 gets IRQ 11, with classic IRQ controller

This card is plugged on motherboard PCI connector and occupies the
following PCI namespace:
03:04.0
03:05.0
03:06.0
03:07.0

Hardware/BIOS checks:
* tried with as much as possible integrated features disabled: no
results
* tried with and without PCI riser card: no result
* disabled APIC and/or ACPI: no result
* enabled manual control of IRQ in bios: no result
* disabled on-board LAN in BIOS and with jumpers for the second Ethernet
port: no result
* tried the PCI card on SEVERAL other mobo, with same OS & config: WORKS
FINE!

Kernel checks:
I tried with 2.6.15 and 2.6.16, either debian stock kernels or own
compiled kernels, with driver as module or compiled in: no results.
I'm in contact with DFI-ACP tech support. their tried to modify some
routines inside the BIOS, but no results yet.
They even do not know (like me) if the problem is mobo or driver
related.

So if someone knows a way for further investigations, i'll try this
happily. I even can modify some portions of the sundance kernel code, if
someone helps me where to start.

Thanks for your help guys!
Regards,

Tristan