[netdrivers] Problem with sundance.c and kernel 2.4.27

Mark Cave-Ayland m.cave-ayland at webbased.co.uk
Tue Nov 23 03:58:11 PST 2004

Hi everyone,

I'm experiencing problems trying to get a D-Link DFE-580TX quad port NIC
working with the sundance driver. The machine in question contains 2 of
these NICs in order to form a brouter. What I am finding is that the driver
correctly detects the card (including its MAC address) but no data can be
sent over the connection.

I have tried two different drivers: the stock sundance.c supplied with the
2.4.27 kernel (with grsecurity patch), and also the driver available from
http://www.scyld.com/ethercard_drivers.html but neither of them seem to work
for me :(. The machine containing the 2 NICs is a modern Dell Poweredge
400SC, which is modern P4 machine.

I have managed to get some debugging information from both of the drivers -
I did this by setting the debug options according to modinfo -p in
/etc/modules.conf and then copying the output from /var/log/messages. I've
included the output from both drivers as an attachment to this email. Any
help in getting these cards to work would be greatly appreciated!

Kind regards,

Mark.

WebBased Ltd
South West Technology Centre