[netdrivers] Building natsemi.c into a monolithic 2.2.20 kernel

Colin Brough Colin.Brough@btinternet.com
Wed Nov 13 12:59:59 2002

If have a couple of NetGear FA311 cards. One, in a Mandrake 9.0
machine, is recognised fine - I think by the natsemi driver. The other
card is my old machine, which is running a 2.2.20pre8 kernel. I can't
quite remember the reason, but I have always built my kernels on this
machine without module support. Is there a way of dropping the natsemi
driver into /usr/src/linux/drivers/net and getting them built into the
kernel? Or do I have to go back, enable module support in the kernel,
and use the Makefile in netdrivers-3.1-1.src.rpm?

(I can't easily upgrade the kernel on the old machine, since its C
library is from RedHat 5.2 days, and 2.4.x kernels won't go there!!
The disk is a single partition, and I have no backup, so the point of
the exercise is to get the data off the machine using the NetGear
card!!)

I have tried to compile and use the NetGear supplied driver (fa31x.c):
I can compile it with warnings, and I think I linked it into the
kernel, but I have no idea whether the kernel knows of its existence -
and 'cat /proc/pci' still shows:

  Bus  0, device  14, function  0:
    Ethernet controller: NS Unknown device (rev 0).
      Vendor id=100b. Device id=20.
      Medium devsel.  Fast back-to-back capable.  IRQ 10.  Master Capable.  \
                                           Latency=24.  Min Gnt=11.Max Lat=52.
      I/O at 0xfc00 [0xfc01].
      Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xffbef000 [0xffbef000].

Any pointers appreciated.

Cheers

Colin

Colin Brough                               Colin.Brough@btinternet.com