[epic] multiple Ethernetcards with epic100

Theo van den Bout T.P.vandenBout@its.tudelft.nl
Tue, 20 Jun 2000 13:11:58 +0200

On Mon, 19 Jun 2000, Dr.Axel Spörl wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm running a Linux Router with SMC EtherPower II 9432 PCI adapters
> inside. All cards are recognized during boot time an the module is
> loaded correctly. Although the system looks pretty well after booting
> (IRQ, no error messages) one, two or all cards still do not work: It is
> impossible to reach the network attached to it.
>
> After shutting down an restarting the problematic interface with
> ifconfig ethX up/down several times it suddenly works.
>
> Can you give me a hint?
>
> Thanks in advance!
> Axel Spoerl

We have about 50+ systems using the SMC 9432 overhere and they
consistently show the same problem: they lock-up under heavy load.

"/etc/rc.d/init.d/network restart" always cures the problem... till the next
lock-up occurs.

By now we have replaced all SMC adapters with "Intel PCI EtherExpress Pro100"
in our main systems (aka servers).  Sad but true.

The best
Theo