Epic100 problems.

Erich Reitz ereitz@usa.net
Thu Mar 11 12:50:16 1999

Hello,

I just wanted to add my voice to the epic100 problem list.  I don't know if I
am experiencing a single or many problems related to the epic100.c driver. I'd
glady appreciate any advice.

I have been using the epic100 driver previous to version 1.0 at which time I
was unable to run at 100 Tx FD due to Trasmit Timeout errors. I had to force
it to 10Mb.  Now at driver version 1.06 I am able to run at 100 but still
experience other problems.  The card is in a Linux 2.0.35 box running along
side a generic 10baseT NE2000 card (which never has any problems).

My standard boot processes adds the following to the log. I run the Linux box
directly connected via crossover cable to an NT box with a duplicate SMC
9432TX card (which does not experiences problems).

eth1: SMSC EPIC/100 83c170 at 0xf800, IRQ 10, 00:e0:29:0a:ec:de.
eth1: MII transceiver #3 control 3000 status 7809.
eth1:  Autonegotiation advertising 01e1 link partner 0001.
eth1: Setting full-duplex based on MII #3 link partner capability of 41e1.

Many times during boot the above will be in my log, but I will be unable to
ping the NT machine.  However on the NT machine using the SMC Diagnostics
service I am able to see the pings being received and the ping replies
trasmitted back to the linux box, however the Linux box does not acknowledge
they exist at all.

I will have to take the link down and put it back up (ifdown eth1) and
sometimes this works. Sometimes I will get a general protection fault 022 with
some type of "malloc" error. This was not logged, but my console was filled up
with error messages and <00000>'s in an infinite scroll requiring a hard boot.

I have once received this error:

eth1: PCI Bus Error!  EPIC status 4259000.

And quite a few times received messages similar to these:

eth1: Oversized Ethernet frame, status a25 4224 bytes.
eth1: Oversized Ethernet frame, status 414c 4560 bytes.

Running epic-diag returns this (might not be relevant):
  Transmitter: slot time 512 bits, full-duplex mode.
 The word-wide EEPROM checksum is 0x4d0b.
Parsing the EEPROM of a EPIC/100:
 Station Address 00:E0:29:0A:EC:DE.
 Board name 'SMC9432TX   ', revision 222.
 Calculated checksum is 00.

And from ifconfig: (lots of errors/dropped since I recently tried the ping -f
-s 2568 alluded to in another message).

eth1      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:E0:29:0A:EC:DE
          inet addr:192.168.1.1  Bcast:192.168.1.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          RX packets:36285 errors:3316 dropped:5585 overruns:0
          TX packets:42221 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:1
          Interrupt:10 Base address:0xf800

Since I don't have these problems on the same machine using eth0 which is a
generic NE2000 card, this epic driver seems to be the only thing that causes
system instability.

I don't know what I can do to further track down the problem(s) but hopefully
if others experience and document similar difficulties the driver can be
improved.

E.Reitz