eithernet driver for SMC EitherPowerII

Eric Sellers esellers@toronto.cbc.ca
Tue Mar 9 13:46:50 1999

I bought two SMC EtherPower II eithernet cards, and
had a problem setting up the first one.

I think I have figured out what it was and wanted to share this
information
just in case anyone else experiences the same problem.

When I installed the card it defaulted to 100 mbps (the 100 mbps led was
on)
the epic100 driver that came with slackware 2.0.34 would not let me
force it to
10BaseT, so I downloaded the test version. (v1.07 I think)
and used modprobe epic100 options=4 (set it to 10baseT-FD)
This almost worked... the only problem is it would freeze every once in
a while
for a few seconds (10 - 20 seconds)

I used epic-diag and it said it was set for half-duplex even though
the LED on the card said otherwise (the FDX led was on)

When I tried to set it to half-duplex with the epic100 driver it would
not change
modprobe epic100 options=4 full_duplex=0
The software said it was half-duplex but the FDX led was still on

When I tried the other card in the same computer... it worked fine
It auto negotiated to 10BaseT halfduplex and worked like a charm
with the driver that came with slackware 2.0.34
(and all the leds were correct  100mbps led was off and FDX led was off)

So as far as I can tell, its a faulty card, that wont auto negotiate.
It is possible to get the card to go into 10baseT half-duplex mode...
but only in windows using the drivers that were supplied.

Since I know it will work if you poke it right... anyone know how to
force it to half-duplex?
(what register has to be set?)

Thanks
Eric