[Beowulf] immersion

Scott Atchley e.scott.atchley at gmail.com
Sun Apr 7 22:07:13 UTC 2024

On Sun, Mar 24, 2024 at 2:38 PM Michael DiDomenico <mdidomenico4 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> i'm curious if others think DLC might hit a power limit sooner or later,
> like Air cooling already has, given chips keep climbing in watts.

What I am worried about is power per blade/node.  The Cray EX design used
in Frontier has a limit per blade. Frontier and El Cap have two nodes per
blade. Aurora, which uses more power, only has one node per blade. I
imagine that ORv3 racks will have similar issues.

We can remove 6KW per blade today and I am confident that we can remove
some more. That said, we could reach a point where a blade might just be a
single processor.