[Beowulf] And wearing another hat ...

Daniel Keller dkeller at projectdestiny.com
Tue Nov 14 02:11:28 UTC 2023

 I hate to admit it, but I guess that I fell for the idea that the Del Complex floating AI data center was a real project that was trying to get funding or was under development.  I saw stories about it in multiple usually reputable tech news sites over the course of an entire week, so that satisfied what I thought was a high enough bar for vetting, and it lead me astray.  With that said, compared to some of the crazy things that the crypto bros were actually doing during the height of the cryptocurrency bubbles, such as reactivating entire old power plants, filling the power plants with mining rigs, and then using the output of nearly the entire power plant just to power those rigs, floating data centers suddenly don't seem like an idea that is that incredibly outlandish for the current Generative A.I. boom.  Besides, wasn't Microsoft also doing experimental testing of water-submerged containers filled with special water-cooled racks of Azure cloud servers to help find ways for cheaper cooling for high-density server systems? Anyway, thank you for the correction about how the BlueSea Frontier Compute Cluster is a well-crafted hoax or parody, and for the link to the Vice article about it!  It is appreciated!
-Dan

    On Monday, November 13, 2023 at 02:35:35 PM CST, Christopher Samuel <chris at csamuel.org> wrote:

 On 11/13/23 09:06, Joshua Mora wrote:

> Some folks trying to bypass legally government restrictions.

I'm afraid that seems to be a parody/hoax/performance art thing:

https://www.vice.com/en/article/88xk7b/del-complex-ai-training-barge

 > But there’s one glaring issue: Del Complex is not a real AI company,
and its barge is similarly fake.

 > The first tip-off is that Del Complex describes itself as an
“alternate reality corporation.”

All the best,
Chris
--