[Beowulf] And wearing another hat ...

Daniel Keller dkeller at projectdestiny.com
Mon Nov 13 20:30:01 UTC 2023

 The tech YouTube Channel "Paul's Hardware" made an interesting point about the Del Complex BlueSea Frontier Compute Cluster essentially being a massive barge with $500-million worth of GPU's on it floating out in international waters-- it would be an excellent target for pirates!  Being out in international waters is a double-edged sword-- on one hand your free of any one country's regulations and tax obligations, but at the same time you're not directly under the umbrella of protection of any nation's navy.  While the linked TechRadar article did state that the BlueSea Frontier would have security forces onboard, would they may be able to fend off the heavily armed pirates like what you see far off the coasts of Somalia or Malaysia?  In addition, once you're talking about $500-million in GPU's you might suddenly become an interesting target to nation states, *especially* nation states that have recently been banned from getting the most state-fo-the-art GPU's over the past year by the U.S. and its allies.  Could the BlueSea Frontier's security forces be able to defend the facility from Chinese PLAN Marines wanting to board it to perform an "inspection?"  Could it stop a large warship from seizing it, towing it, and "impounding" it?  I am not saying that such events would be necessarily likely to happen, but they'd sure be in the back of my mind if I was considering investing in the idea!
Just another factor to think about when it comes to building "sovereign AI states/ tax havens" on the high seas!