[Beowulf] [External] Re: old sm/sgi bios

Christopher Samuel chris at csamuel.org
Thu Mar 23 19:08:16 UTC 2023

On 3/23/23 11:59 am, Fischer, Jeremy wrote:

> HPUX 9. Hands down.

v9? Luxury!

For my sins in the mid 90s I was part of the small team that managed a
heterogenous UNIX network for folks doing portable compiler development,
I think we had ~12 UNIX variants on ~8 hardware platforms (conservatively).

Worst was a tie between SCO UNIX on x86 which had yet to discover
symbolic links and Idris on Transputer where the shutdown command would
crash part way through so then we had to do "sync; sync; sync" and then
press the power button.

Most amusing problem was the Ultrix/AIX NFS war where one would cause
filesystem corruption on the other (can't remember which was the culprit
and which was the victim). Also SGI boxes don't like sucking in cigar
smoke and tar.

ObHPC: Transputer counted as HPC at one time, right?

All the best,
Chris
--
Chris Samuel  :  http://www.csamuel.org/  :  Berkeley, CA, USA