[Beowulf] [External] Re: old sm/sgi bios

Joe Landman joe.landman at gmail.com
Thu Mar 23 18:58:49 UTC 2023

They had laid off all the good people doing workstations by then, I
think they outsourced design/production to ODMs by that time. MIP
processors were long in the tooth in 1999, never mind 2007.

Having been at SGI from 1995-2001, I can tell you the reason MIPS sucked
wind at that point, was the good ship Itanic sunk Alien and Beast
processors.  Those design teams left, and we didn't have much for post
R10k, other than respins and shrinks of R10k.  Which were renamed R12k,
R14k ...

Beast would have been relevant (near EOL though) in 2007.

On 3/23/23 14:53, Prentice Bisbal via Beowulf wrote:

> Between 2003 and 2007, I worked with a lot of O2s, Octanes, an 8-way
> Origin 350, and even a Tezro. I don't miss those days.
>
> I always felt like the design of their workstations was done by the
> same people who design Playskool toys rather than professional hardware.
>
> Prentice Bisbal
> Senior HPC Engineer
> Computational Sciences Department
> Princeton Plasma Physics Laboratory
> Princeton, NJ
> https://cs.pppl.gov
> https://www.pppl.gov
> On 3/23/23 1:08 PM, Ryan Novosielski via Beowulf wrote:
>> Seriously. I have an Indy and an Octane2 laying around. That’s not
>> even an SGI. :-P
>>
>> --
>> #BlackLivesMatter
>> ____
>> ||_// the State |         Ryan Novosielski - novosirj at rutgers.edu
>> RBHS Campus
>> A555B, Newark
>>      `'
>>
>>> On Mar 23, 2023, at 13:07, Michael DiDomenico
>>> <mdidomenico4 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> ack, irix flashbacks... :) fortunately, this machine isn't quite that
>>> old, circa 2013

Joe Landman
e:joe.landman at gmail.com
t: @hpcjoe