[Beowulf] Your thoughts on the latest RHEL drama?

Mikhail Kuzminsky kus at free.net
Fri Jun 30 19:43:39 UTC 2023

I sat and carefully studied all the comments about RH's plans.

On Mon, Jun 26, 2023 at 02:27:23PM -0400, Prentice Bisbal via Beowulf
wrote:
> Somewhere around event #3 is when I started viewing RHEL from as the
>MS of
> the Linux world for obvious reasons. It seems that RH is determined
>to make
> RHEL a monopoly of the "Enterprise Linux" market. Yes, I know there's
>Ubuntu
> and SLES, but Ubuntu is viewed as a desktop more than a server OS
>(IMO), and
> SLES hasn't really caught on, at least not in the US.

Previously, the small x86-64 clusters I supported used OpenSuSE for a
number of years, then on the next cluster I decided to switch to
CentOS 7 simply because of its large popularity in HPC and the greater
breadth of packages available.

BTW, I'm using CentOS 7 and on my home desktop (working with GNOME).
And in general, I want to have the same distribution  both at home and
in the cluster. So Ubuntu is a good starting point for me in the
future :-) (Nvidia loves Ubuntu on their GPU servers, but it's all for
AI).

But I would also like to hear your point of view about SLES / OpenSuSE
- after all, HPC Cray OS is based on SuSE.

Mikhail Kuzminsky