[Beowulf] Your thoughts on the latest RHEL drama?

Chris Samuel chris at csamuel.org
Tue Jun 27 15:59:20 UTC 2023

On 26/6/23 11:38, Joe Landman wrote:

> This was likely aimed at the other folks like Oracle who are making
> money off of rebuilds and not so much at Alma/Rocky.  Those are
> collateral damage.

 From memory (insert sirens, klaxons and other warnings sounds here)
Oracle was the target for Red Hat's obfuscating of their kernel sources
to make it harder for them to do their kernel variants.

It would horribly ironic if this move pushed more people towards using
OL given Oracle seem to give that away for free. :-/

I've not had to use RHEL since leaving Australia for the US but my
experience with their support was pretty poor up to that point. They had
a nasty habit of breaking Mellanox drivers and not being able to fix
them for extended periods of time (we had one in RHEL5 that was still
unresolved when we went to RHEL6, and one in RHEL6 that would crash our
PPC64 BG/Q management node in RHEL 6.2 through 6.4 before it got fixed -
we were stuck on a RHEL 6.1 kernel until they finally fixed it).
Hopefully things have improved since then.

All the best,
Chris