[Beowulf] NFS alternative for 200 core compute (beowulf) cluster

Jeff Johnson jeff.johnson at aeoncomputing.com
Thu Aug 10 19:35:57 UTC 2023

Leo,

NFS can be a hindrance but if tuned and configured properly might not be as
terrible. Some thoughts...

   - What interface are the nodes accessing NFS via? Ethernet or Infiniband?
   - Have you tuned the number of NFS server threads above defaults?
   - As a test, you could deploy a single Lustre node that would act as
   MGS/MDS and OSS simultaneously to test for performance gains via
   Infiniband.
   - Your scratch volume must really be scratch because you are
   running with no parity protection (two disk os SSD stripe)
   - You're probably better off with tuned NFS as opposed to GlusterFS

--Jeff

On Thu, Aug 10, 2023 at 12:19 PM leo camilo <lhcamilo at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I was hoping I would seek some sage advice from you guys.
>
> At my department we have build this small prototyping cluster with 5
> compute nodes,1 name node and 1 file server.
>
> Up until now, the name node contained the scratch partition, which
> consisted of 2x4TB HDD, which form an 8 TB striped zfs pool. The pool is
> shared to all the nodes using nfs. The compute nodes and the name node and
> compute nodes are connected with both cat6 ethernet net cable and
> infiniband. Each compute node has 40 cores.
>
> Recently I have attempted to launch computation from each node (40 tasks
> per node), so 1 computation per node.  And the performance was abysmal. I
> reckon I might have reached the limits of NFS.
>
> I then realised that this was due to very poor performance from NFS. I am
> not using stateless nodes, so each node has about 200 GB of SSD storage and
> running directly from there was a lot faster.
>
> So, to solve the issue,  I reckon I should replace NFS with something
> better. I have ordered 2x4TB NVMEs  for the new scratch and I was thinking
> of :
>

>    - using the 2x4TB NVME in a striped ZFS pool and use a single node
>    GlusterFS to replace NFS
>    - using the 2x4TB NVME with GlusterFS in a distributed arrangement
>    (still single node)
>
> Some people told me to use lustre,but I reckon that might be overkill. And
> I would only use a single fileserver machine(1 node).
>
> Could you guys give me some sage advice here?
>
> Thanks in advance

Jeff Johnson
Co-Founder
Aeon Computing

jeff.johnson at aeoncomputing.com
www.aeoncomputing.com
t: 858-412-3810 x1001   f: 858-412-3845
m: 619-204-9061

4170 Morena Boulevard, Suite C - San Diego, CA 92117

High-Performance Computing / Lustre Filesystems / Scale-out Storage