[Beowulf] HPCG benchmark, again

John Hearns hearnsj at gmail.com
Sun Mar 20 09:00:17 UTC 2022

Jörg,   I would have a look at the Archer/UK-HPC benchmarks
https://github.com/hpc-uk/archer-benchmarks
They have Castep and CP2K in the applications benchmarks which will be
relevant to you.
Also thankyou for looking for advice here!

As someone who has worked for several cluster vendors, please can I make
these heartfelt plese to anyone who is doing a procurement exercise:

   - choose relevant benchmarks - as Jorg is doing here. Do not load a lot
   of benchmarks into your RFP just because they sound cute
   - application benchmarks are great - but remember they take time to set
   up and run properly. Again choose a set which are relevant to your use and
   have some mercy on the poor overworked engineers
   - If the benchmark requires a license for commercial use be prepared to
   help the vendors get the relevant license (Guassian I believe)
   - be realistic about the scale you want the benchmarks run on. Vendors
   like my company can get time on Top500 class clusters to run benchmarks.
   Also you can book time on large clusters provided by CPU vendors. But be
   realistic - are you procuring a huge system where your users really will be
   scaling to those numbers of cores? If so yes go ahead and ask for it. But
   if you are procuring one rack of servers...