[Beowulf] Understanding environments and libraries caching on a beowulf cluster

Jörg Saßmannshausen sassy-work at sassy.formativ.net
Tue Jun 28 11:45:13 UTC 2022

Dear all,

what we are doing is we are exporting our software stack via a shared file
system like, for example NFS (not a good idea for larger clusters),
SpectrumScale (formerly known as GPFS), Lustre, Ceph... the list is long.

To ease your pain with building architecture specific software and all the
dependencies, I highly recommend EasyBuild for that:

https://easybuild.io/

It is a bit of a learning curve but then what is not. The big advantage here
is there are currently over 2700 *individual* packages supported, not
including extensions. Also, if you got a new cluster and you want to say
install GROMACS from scratch, you can do it like this:

$ eb --rd GROMACS-2021.5-foss-2021b.eb

and that version is installed. You want CUDA support? Here it is:
$ eb --rd GROMACS-2021.5-foss-2021b-CUDA-11.4.1.eb

The community is constantly adding new software packages to it, so with each
release there will be more.

Also, unless you are already doing so, I recommend the use of Lmod instead of
EnvironmentModules.

I hope that helps a bit regarding taking care of libraries.

All the best from a overcast and a bit windy London

Jörg