[Beowulf] [External] Re: Anaconda distribution sowing FUD to generate sales?

Prentice Bisbal pbisbal at pppl.gov
Wed Apr 13 18:47:11 UTC 2022

On 4/13/22 12:57 PM, Joe Landman wrote:

> I've got general negative thoughts about conda, based upon $dayjob's
> use of it.  I always enjoy trying to build something which depends
> upon a conda-ized library which has been pooly built/packaged ...
> yeah, good times.

You mean like when conda sits there for 15-20 minutes and then finally
comes to live only to tell you it can't solve an environment? Never
happens. ;)

> As for their bait and switch, they do need to cover network costs, and
> if they are making the mistake of using cloud storage for this, then
> their egress/storage costs are likely significant.  If you have to use
> them, and really have no choice in the matter, it is better to support
> them and enable them to stay in business, than let them whither and
> die.  The latter guarantees some future flag days where you have to
> start switching out quickly.

I get they need to make money. I just don't like when companies decide
they're going to make money off of open-source software and then when
their original business model fails they change models. I'm all for
supporting open-source, and I've worked at several companies that really
supported supporting open-source, either by allowing employees to
develop for open-source projects as part of their job, or paying for
support contracts that we might not really need just to support the
open-source product. I'm more bothered by the how rather than the what
or why in this case.