[Beowulf] [EXTERNAL] server lift

Skylar Thompson skylar.thompson at gmail.com
Fri Oct 22 17:38:55 UTC 2021

On Fri, Oct 22, 2021 at 10:24:47AM -0700, David Mathog wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Oct 2021 15:00:22 -0400 Prentice Bisbal wrote:
>
> > We have one of these where I work:
> >
> > https://serverlift.com/data-center-lifts/sl-350x/
>
> Wish I had had something like that.
>
> The only downside to that unit I can see is that the crank is on the
> opposite side of the unit from where the lifted computer would be.  In a
> narrow aisle situation a person working alone would have to walk all the
> way around to reach the other side to install/remove the server after
> having set the height.

Yep, that's basically the GenieLift system we have, though maybe has a bit
longer base. Having a load platform is really nice, and the only problem we
have is having the crank on the other side from the platform.

With a little bit of finagling, one person can actually get a system in
and out of rails by raising (to remove) or lowering (to install) the
platform and moving the system a bit by hand. With the platform in place,
even if the system falls, it won't fall more than a 1/4" or so.

--
Skylar