[Beowulf] [EXTERNAL] server lift

Tina Friedrich tina.friedrich at it.ox.ac.uk
Thu Oct 21 08:28:08 UTC 2021

Well if we are name dropping - ours is this one

https://www.manutan.co.uk/en/key/mobile-double-scissor-lift-table-150kg-to-500kg

in the 500kg going up to 1605mm.

The short edge of the platform fits the front of a rack really well, so
one can slide things in and out of racks onto the lift table easily.

And yes - sturdy, doubles up as a trolley and/or work table. And not
electric so no battery to fail.

Tina

On 20/10/2021 21:35, Will Powell wrote:
> We have a number of "Strongway 2-Speed Hydraulic Rapid Lift XT Table
> 1000-Lb" carts, which are the scissor lift type.
>
> They're sturdy. They double as simple moving carts (hauling a stack of
> servers to surplus) or frequently used as a small, mobile work table
> wherever needed within the datacenter. They were within our budget, too.
>
> They don't extend high enough on their own to install something at the
> very top of a rack but all we usually shim something (empty shipping
> boxes?) to get the right height, if needed.
>
> Will Powell
> Research Technologist // Georgia Tech // School of Computational Science
> and Engineering
>
> On 10/19/21 7:40 AM, Michael Di Domenico wrote:
>> On Mon, Oct 18, 2021 at 9:33 PM Lux, Jim (US 7140)
>> <james.p.lux at jpl.nasa.gov> wrote:
>>> Do you want one with a scissor lift type arrangement, or with a
>>> "prongs" arrangement (more like a forklift)
>> we have one with the prongs now, that's one of the biggest issues.
>> trying to slide an unlevel server, that's very heavy, onto rails in
>> the rack is difficult.  and with the width of the isle and the counter
>> weight on the lift, trying to lift the low side of the server slightly
>> involves and act of yoga by a superhero
>>
>> i was looking at ones from serverlift, they seem to have a flat
>> platform and side hoist rather then a rear hoist.  seems like a good
>> design, but before i buy something i'd like to get some unbiased
>> opinions on it or others like it.

Tina Friedrich, Advanced Research Computing Snr HPC Systems Administrator

Research Computing and Support Services
IT Services, University of Oxford
http://www.arc.ox.ac.uk http://www.it.ox.ac.uk