[Beowulf] server lift

David Mathog mathog at caltech.edu
Thu Oct 21 00:02:49 UTC 2021

On Tue, 19 Oct 2021 07:40:24 -0400 Michael Di Domenico wrote:
On Mon, Oct 18, 2021 at 9:33 PM Lux, Jim (US 7140)

> <james.p.lux at jpl.nasa.gov> wrote:
> >
> > Do you want one with a scissor lift type arrangement, or with a "prongs"
> arrangement (more like a forklift)
>
> we have one with the prongs now, that's one of the biggest issues.
> trying to slide an unlevel server, that's very heavy, onto rails in
> the rack is difficult.  and with the width of the isle and the counter
> weight on the lift, trying to lift the low side of the server slightly
> involves and act of yoga by a superhero

If the prongs are level couldn't you attach a shelf of sorts to it?  Then
you would only have to slide the computer onto or off of the level smooth
shelf.  Consider the big industrial forklifts, they are usually lifting
palettes, rathan than the objects themselves, even when there is just one
big object.

Regards,

David Mathog