[Beowulf] [EXTERNAL] server lift

John Hearns hearnsj at gmail.com
Wed Oct 20 11:20:34 UTC 2021

The engine hoist is just superb! The right tool for the job.
Thinking about this, old style factories had overhead cranes. At Glasgow
University we had a cyclotron, and I am told one of the professors took a
great joy in driving the crane.
The Tate Modern art gallery has a huge overhead crane, kept to remind of
the original purpose of the building (a power station).

Thinking about server rooms we have electrical and communications services
dropping down into  racks from the top.
So a travelling crane would foul against the services - unless it was
higher.
How about positioning steel I-beams running along all cold aisles though?
You could run an engine hoist along these with a cradle below it for the
server.
Sealed hot/cold aisles need not be a problem - often they have lift off
panels in the roof.

Probably easier to have a server lift but one can dream...