[Beowulf] AMD and AVX512

Jörg Saßmannshausen sassy-work at sassy.formativ.net
Mon Jun 21 17:11:37 UTC 2021

Dear all

> System architecture has been a problem ... making a processing unit
> 10-100x as fast as its support components means you have to code with
> that in mind.  A simple `gfortran -O3 mycode.f` won't necessarily
> generate optimal code for the system ( but I swear ... -O3 ... it says
> it on the package!)

From a computational Chemist perspective I agree. In an ideal world, you want
to get the right hardware for the program you want to use. Some of the code is
running entirely in memory, others is using disc space for offloading files.

This is, in my humble opinion, also the big problem CPUs are facing. They are
build to tackle all possible scenarios, from simple integer to floating point,
from in-memory to disc I/O. In some respect it would have been better to stick
with a separate math unit which then could be selected according to your
workload you want to run on that server. I guess this is where the GPUs are
trying to fit in here, or maybe ARM.

I also agree with the compiler "problem". If you are starting to push some
compilers too much, the code is running very fast but the results are simply
wrong. Again, in an ideal world we have a compiler for the job for the given
hardware which also depends on the job you want to run.

The problem here is not: is that possible, the problem is more: how much does
it cost? From what I understand, some big server farms are actually not using
commodity HPC stuff but they are designing what they need themselves.

Maybe the whole climate problem will finally push HPC into the more bespoken
system where the components are fit for the job in question, say weather
modeling for example, simply as that would be more energy efficient and
faster.
Before somebody comes along with: but but but it costs! Think about how much
money is being spent simply to kill people, or at other wasteful project like
Brexit etc.

My 2 shillings for what it is worth! :D

Jörg