[Beowulf] AMD and AVX512 [EXT]

Gerald Henriksen ghenriks at gmail.com
Sun Jun 20 14:44:12 UTC 2021

On Sun, 20 Jun 2021 06:51:58 +0100, you wrote:

>That is a very interesting point! I never thought of that.
>Also mobile drives ARM development - yes I know the CPUs in Isambard and
>Fugaku will not be seen in your mobile phone but the ecosystem is propped
>up by having a diverse market and also the power saving priorities of
>mobile will influence HPC ARM CPUs.

I think the danger is in thinking of ARM (or going forward RISC-V) in
the same way that we have traditionally considered CPU families like
the x86 / x64 / Power families.

One of things hobbling x64 is that is effectively 1 design that Intel
(and to a lesser extent AMD) try to fit into multiple roles - often
without success.  Consider the now abandoned attempts to get Intel
chips into phones and tablets.

ARM has no such contraints - they are quite happy to develop new
designs for specific markets that are entirely unsuitable for their
existing strengths.

Hence, as part of the ARM push into HPC, the new Neoverse V1 - a
design for HPC that probably won't appear in phones.

https://www.arm.com/blogs/blueprint/neoverse-v1

Or consider that the ARM ecosystem has shunned making multiple-bitness
CPUs/SOCs - they essentially made a clean break with 64-bit only chips
that sit alongside the 32-bit only chips - vendors choose the hardware
for their needs and don't carry along legacy stuff that eats up
silicon space and power.

ARM is about taking ARM IP and creating custom designs for specific
markets.