[Beowulf] Power Cycling Question

Gerald Henriksen ghenriks at gmail.com
Sat Jul 17 13:20:55 UTC 2021

On Fri, 16 Jul 2021 15:35:11 -0400, you wrote:

>Reducing power use has become an important topic. One
>of the questions I always wondered about is
>why more cluster do not turn off unused nodes. Slurm
>has hooks to turn nodes off when not in use and
>turn them on when resources are needed.

Given the expense of a cluster (purchase, running, space allocation,
etc) perhaps that is the wrong question.

If you have enough spare capacity that turning off nodes would create
a noticable power saving, then maybe you should be looking at why you
have that capacity?

The goal really should be more about keeping all the nodes busy, so is
there something else that can be done to make sure that the nodes have
work to be done?