[Beowulf] Power Cycling Question

Skylar Thompson skylar.thompson at gmail.com
Sat Jul 17 00:44:32 UTC 2021

One problem with suspend/sleep is if you have services that depend on
persistent TCP connections. I don't know that GPFS (er, sorry, "Spectrum
Scale"), for instance, would be consistently tolerant of its daemon
connections being interrupted, even if the node in question wasn't actually
doing any I/O.

We had tried engineering our custom "green cluster" automation with Grid
Engine years ago where we would shutdown idle nodes until they were needed,
but doing it independently of the resource manager was far too complicated
for us to maintain, especially since it was all cost and no benefit for us
with our power and cooling charges being absorbed through a flat overhead
rate. This might not be as big of an issue for schedulers/resource managers
that have fewer requestable resources than GE, and for sites where they
are billed for actual power/cooling used and can more easily justify the
staff time to manage the extra complexity.