[Beowulf] ***UNCHECKED*** Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: Re: Spark, Julia, OpenMPI etc. - all in one place

John Hearns hearnsj at gmail.com
Mon Oct 19 01:48:31 PDT 2020

Jim you make good points here. I guess my replies are:

Modern Fortran workshops exist - but they need to be promoted more widely.
Which leads to my next point - dare I say it the IT industry exists through
churn. There is always a promotion of the new,
which means that the old must somehow be deficient.
I question - are 'the young' taking up Fortran programming?
However let's look at what drove the upturn in AI - it was being able to
run models on a GPU in your dorm room, or hire a GPU instance on the cloud.
But also shrink wrapped Tensorflow.
Should we be saying to kids - hey kid, you can forecast the weather /
design a new car with your own PC.
Maybe a container with some relevant software and models?

And now everyone will point me towards such projects....