[Beowulf] Julia on POWER9?

Prentice Bisbal pbisbal at pppl.gov
Thu Oct 15 14:02:17 PDT 2020

So while you've all been discussing Julia, etc., I've been trying to
build and get it running on POWER9 for a cluster of AC922 nodes (same as
Summit, but with 4 GPUs per node). After doing a combination of Google
searching and soul-searching, I was able to get a functional version of
Julia to build for POWER9. However, I'm not 100% sure my build is fully
functional, as when I did 'make testall' some of the tests failed.

Is there anyone on this list using or supporting the latest version of
Julia, 1.5.2, on POWER9? If so, I'd like to compare notes. I imagine
someone from OLCF is on this list.

Based on my Internet searching, as of August 2019 Julia was being used
on Summit on thousands of cores, but I've also seen posts from the Julia
devs saying they can't support the POWER architecture anymore because
they no longer have access to POWER hardware. Most of this information
comes from the Julia GitHub or Julia Discourse conversations.

--
Prentice