[Beowulf] ***UNCHECKED*** Re: Re: Spark, Julia, OpenMPI etc. - all in one place

Oddo Da oddodaoddo at gmail.com
Wed Oct 14 08:51:50 PDT 2020

On Wed, Oct 14, 2020 at 10:12 AM Michael Di Domenico <mdidomenico4 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> That's great if all you want to do is solve
> equations and haskell already has the code to implement them.  someone
> could certainly add MPI solvers to haskell and do what i think you're
> asking for.  but someone has to be motivated to do that

> C has morphed into other things, julia/C++/C#/go/etc, but C isn't
> going to change unless the underlying hardware changes (ie quantum).
> it's also a matter of intellectual build, there's so much intellectual
> property in C around the world and no real reason to just rip it out.

I am not advocating changing C (although the standards surely have done
things to it that are different from 20 years ago). I think you are
providing slowly the answers to all my questions: lack of motivation and
the amount of investment into something (like MPI).

i don't have a horse in this race either.  we can go back and forth
> all day, but i'm not sure i understand what you're ultimately try to
> get at (or i missed it).  to state that HPC hasn't evolved in 20yrs i
> believe is a gross misrepresentation and to say that it's not evolved
> into something great like Spark or Scala, isn't a fair comparison.

I did not use Spark or Scala as measures of greatness but they are
evolution, at least people are trying ;). Not all evolution is in the
positive direction, of course. But I do think that the world of software
engineering has moved/changed for better since 1990s. Yes, we built
software just fine in the 1990s and we built it fine in the 1960s but that
is like saying we drove cars just fine in the 1930s, why do we need new
cars.

I stated in the original post that I am coming back into the field and that
it feels like not much has changed since 20 years ago. I asked to be
schooled or corrected. I suppose it would be alright for you to tell me
specifically what has changed for the better (or has been a paradigm shift)
and how widely have these changes been adopted. For example, I consider
things like chapel evolutionary changes in the right direction even if it
may not be adopted widely - at least someone is trying ;). What you seem to
be saying is that we don't need anything new, C and MPI are all that is
necessary and we are happy with it?