[Beowulf] [External] Spark, Julia, OpenMPI etc. - all in one place

Peter Kjellström cap at nsc.liu.se
Tue Oct 13 01:21:26 PDT 2020

On Mon, 12 Oct 2020 22:04:30 -0400
Oddo Da <oddodaoddo at gmail.com> wrote:

> Johann-Tobias,
>
> Thank you for the reply.
>
> I don't know enough detail about Julia to even be confused (I am
> learning it now) :-)
>
> It just seems to me that things have not really changed in the
> tooling in the HPC space since 20+ years ago. This is why I thought,
> well, hoped that something new and more interesting would have come
> along - like Julia. Being able to express better and at a higher
> level parallelization or distribution tasks (higher than MPI anyway)
> would be nice. Spark is nice that way in the data science space but
> it cannot run in the same space/hardware as traditional HPC
> approaches, sadly.

Well quite a few things have "come along" but there's soo much
inertia in C/C++/Fortran with OpenMP (and/)or MPI that new things are
pretty much invisible if you look at what's run on an everyday basis...

From this perspective (and my vantage point in national academic HPC) it
seems the only significant change over then last 10-20 years is
Python use (as more or less complete applications, glue, interactive
work, ...). But also the scale of parallelism (used to be 10-100 on a
system, now 10000-100000).

For things that have "come along" but not quite altered the big picture
(much?) (yet?) (ever?) here are a few:

* Chapel (https://chapel-lang.org/)
* OpenMP and OpenACC for GPU use
* HPX (https://stellar-group.org/)