[Beowulf] Automatically replication of directories among nodes

James Braid jamesb at loreland.org
Fri Nov 27 01:05:33 UTC 2020

On Wed, 25 Nov 2020, 09:28 Lux, Jim (US 7140) via Beowulf, <
beowulf at beowulf.org> wrote:

> What I have is 3 rPi computers, A,B, and C, and what I’d like to do is
> keep the desktop and some data directories on all of them synchronized.  So
> if on node A, I add something to A:~/Desktop, it (in short order) winds up
> in the ~/Desktop directory on the other 2 machines.

Syncthing works great for these kinds of applications:
https://syncthing.net/

Install on all 3 nodes, add a shared directory on all 3 and it will keep
everything synced. Lightweight single binary written in go and runs on
almost every platform.

I've replaced a number of messy rsync setups with syncthing and it also
enables some more complex and interesting topologies (for example I have an
offline host with limited resources pushing data to a nearby host with
internet connectivity and from there to multiple other hosts).

James