[Beowulf] Power per area

Stu Midgley sdm900 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 10 17:30:33 PDT 2020

Immersion cooling makes a lot of sense :)

We run it on the 21st floor of a building in Kuala Lumpur, on the 1st floor
in Perth and on a slab-on-ground in Houston.

The tanks+fluid are light.  When full of equipment, about 1.2 tonnes spread
over about 2m2.

In Houston, we have the lowest rated raised floor - since the tanks spread
the load across multiple tiles/floor stands, and there is no rolling weight
(its spread evenly over 2m2)

So ~ 2200lbs/10sqft ie. about 220lbs/sqft .  We run a power density of
8.5kW/sqm (~800W/sqft) across our whole DC (which includes all the internal
white space/CRAC space etc).

We cool the whole facility with evaporation (compressor cooling is only for
comfort cooling).

We have hit a PUE of 1.045 in Houston...   and 1.035 in Perth :)

Come and have a look at our Houston DC :)

On Wed, Mar 11, 2020 at 3:37 AM Scott Atchley <e.scott.atchley at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I am wondering whether immersion cooling makes sense. We are most limited
> by datacenter floor space. We can manage to bring in more power (up to 40
> MW for Frontier) and install more cooling towers (ditto), but we cannot
> simply add datacenter space. We have asked to build new building and the
> answer has been consistently "No."
>
> Summit is mostly water cooled. Each node has cold plates on the CPUs and
> GPUs. Fans are needed to cool the memory and power supplies and is captured
> by rear-door heart exchangers. It occupies roughly 5,600 ft^2. With 200 PF
> of performance and 14 MW of power, that is 36 TF/ft^2 and 2.5 kW/ft^2.
>
> I am wondering what the comparable performance and power is per square
> foot for the densest, deployed (not theoretical) immersion cooled systems.
> Any ideas?
>
> To make the exercise even more fun, what is the weight per square foot for
> immersion systems? Our data centers have a limit of 250 or 500 pounds per
> square foot. I expect immersion systems to need higher loadings than that.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Scott

Dr Stuart Midgley
sdm900 at gmail.com