[Beowulf] Power per area

Scott Atchley e.scott.atchley at gmail.com
Tue Mar 10 13:07:48 PDT 2020

Hi Jeff,

Interesting, I have not seen this yet.

Looking at their 52 kW rack's dimensions, it works out to 3.7 kW/ft^2 for
the enclosure if we do not count the row pitch. If we add 4-5 feet for row
pitch, then it drops to 2.2-2.4 kW/ft^2. Assuming Summit's IBM AC922 nodes
fit and again a row pitch of 4-5 feet, the performance per area would be
31-34 TF/ft^2. Both the performance per area and the power per are are
close to Summit. Their PUE (1.15-1.2) is higher than we get on Summit (1.05
for 9 months and 1.1-1.2 for 3 months). It is very interesting for data
centers that have widely varying loads for adjacent cabinets.

Scott