[Beowulf] First cluster in 20 years - questions about today

Gerald Henriksen ghenriks at gmail.com
Wed Feb 5 06:27:11 PST 2020

On Tue, 4 Feb 2020 21:27:51 -0500, you wrote:

>I'm going to start by trying to learn abinit.  They have experimental, CUDA
>only, GPU support, so I may save up for some used nVidia cards at some
>point, maybe I can find a deal on P106 class cards.

Before looking for used Nvidia cards check your requirements first.
During the mining craze a bunch of cards were released targeted at the
miners, and they came with only PCI Express 1.0 with very limited
bandwidth (compared to the standard PCI Express 3.0).

The mining cards can be fine if your data can fit into the card's
memory and it just sit's there being dealt with, but if you need to
transfer data frequently it could be a problem.