[Beowulf] [External] RIP CentOS 8

Prentice Bisbal pbisbal at pppl.gov
Tue Dec 8 21:06:51 UTC 2020

On 12/8/2020 3:11 PM, Carlos Bederián wrote:

>     Gregory Kurtzer says:
>     December 8, 2020 at 4:27 pm
>     <https://blog.centos.org/2020/12/future-is-centos-stream/#comment-183642>I
>     am considering creating another rebuild of RHEL and may even be
>     able to hire some people for this effort. If you are interested in
>     helping, please join the HPCng slack (link on the website
>     hpcng.org <http://hpcng.org>).
>     Greg
>     (original founder of CentOS)
>

> Has Redhat changed anything in RHEL8 to prevent another CentOS from
> sprouting?

No, and due to most of the software included in RHEL being under the GPL
licenses, it's almost impossible for them to prevent it, since the GPL
requires RH to make the source code available. If they really wanted to
stick to anyone attempting another CentOS, I suppose they could not
release the source code in SRPM form, but I doubt they'd do that.

I wouldn't be surprised if this causes Scientific Linux to come back
into existence.

Prentice