[Beowulf] ***UNCHECKED*** HPCG

Prentice Bisbal pbisbal at pppl.gov
Wed Aug 5 10:52:03 PDT 2020

Beowulfers,

Do any of you have any experience using HPCG as a benchmark. I'm trying
to compare the performance of several different processors for an
upcoming purchase. I've already run LINPACK, and now I'd like to run
HPCG. It seems the only tuning parameter is the size of the local grid
in the x,y,z dimensions.

While the guidelines say to increase the gridsize until the job consumes
1/4 or more of RAM, my testing has shown that as the gridsize goes up,
so does the performance,  and it keeps going up for me until I consume
all the memory and the job gets killed by Slurm for exceeding memory
requirements.

I've been doing a lot of Google searching for how to tune HPCG for
maximum results, and there are some papers for tuning HPCG for large
supercomputers. In these cases, they use x,y,z dimensions that are not
necessarily equal, but I don't understand how they determined to use
these unique values for x,y,z.

When I compare my HPL results to my HPCG results, I'm getting HPCG
results that are 0.3 - 0.5% of HPL. On the HPCG Top500 list, most
systems are getting 2-3% of HPL, so I'm off by an order of magnitude.

--
Prentice