[Beowulf] [EXTERNAL] Re: Is Crowd Computing the Next Big Thing?

Lux, Jim (US 337K) james.p.lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Sat Nov 30 17:13:46 PST 2019

But just think of the challenges of implementing MPI on a network of ephemerally connected cellphones. Or any of the cluster filesystems?  What about a scheduler/queue manager?  The nature of the computing nodes and communication would bring new meaning to the Byzantine General problem.

This is an order of magnitude more complex than a cluster of RPi or Beagles, which, frankly, is a doddle.

(I'm omitting the obligatory "what about a Beowulf cluster of X" comment, since we are, after all, the Beowulf mailing list and it goes without saying.