[Beowulf] Is Crowd Computing the Next Big Thing?

Janne Blomqvist janne.blomqvist at aalto.fi
Thu Nov 28 00:16:07 PST 2019

On 28/11/2019 06.44, Jonathan Aquilina wrote:
> I am going to be blunt here but its not worth that 2 cents per hour
> given phones are key to everyones day to day work etc youll have to
> carry quite a number of battery packs to get you through your day.

Agreed, I wouldn't accept 2c/h for something that runs at full power and
drains the battery. But if the thing runs only when the phone is
connected to a charger (& wifi if it needs to communicate), then it's
slightly less nonsensical.

Also, could be a use for old phones that otherwise would just gather
dust in a drawer or be thrown in the trash. Of course, if they pay for
compute performance (for some suitable definition of performance) rather
than just cpu-hours old phones will be less power efficient.

--
Janne Blomqvist