[Beowulf] Dual IB Cards in a Single Box

Kilian Cavalotti kilian.cavalotti.work at gmail.com
Fri May 10 11:13:46 PDT 2019

Hi Paul,

We do heavily rely on LNet routers to connect our clusters to our
storage systems, some suing FDR, some using EDR, and mixing up
different IB generations in the same host is not an issue.

HDR kind of requires PCIe Gen4 though (or 2x PCI Gen3 ports, but...),
so that could be a limiting factor, as there's not much support for
PCIe Gen4 in x86 processors right now.

Cheers,
--
Kilian

On Fri, May 10, 2019 at 9:14 AM Paul Edmon <pedmon at cfa.harvard.edu> wrote:

> We are looking to bridge our FDR fabric to our HDR fabric via LNET and
> we had a question about whether a single machine can have 2 different IB
> cards simultaneously. Does anyone have any experience with that or know
> if there are any hitches with having a single box with a FDR card and a
> HDR card running simultaneously?
>
> -Paul Edmon-

Kilian