[Beowulf] Dell rack rails - standardization?

David Mathog mathog at caltech.edu
Wed May 8 14:00:51 PDT 2019

Hi all,

I have a small pile of Dell sliding rack rails from departed servers
(and no current Dell rack mounted equipment).  Each rail has 3 slots
into which pegs on the side of the server drop.  There are two types of
slot spacings.  The back two slots are in the same in all rails, but the
front one is in slightly different and incompatible positions.  So it
looks like Dell may "key" its rack rails so that they only fit specific
servers.

Anybody know what Dell's standard is for these?  If they are keyed by
weight and/or height, and may be reused for each new generation of
server then I may keep them for possible future use.  But if Dell moves
the slots around so that they are effectively keyed for specific models,
so that they never fit new models, there wouldn't be much point.

Thanks,

David Mathog
mathog at caltech.edu