[Beowulf] Introduction and question

Gerald Henriksen ghenriks at gmail.com
Sat Mar 23 06:56:05 PDT 2019

On Thu, 21 Mar 2019 16:31:38 -0400, you wrote:

>Thanks for sharing this. I was recently asked for my input in a job
>description for a new position. They wanted to make the education
>requirements a minimum of a BS in Math, Physics, Engineering, or CS. I
>recommended that they DO NOT list any education requirements for this
>position, because most of the skills they were looking for (git, make
>files, GNU autoconf, CMake, etc.), are not taught in any college
>curriculum I know of, so a formal education is no guarantee of those
>skills. and some of the best sys admins and programmers I ever met  had
>no formal education in STEM, or at all.
>
>I was overruled.

Certainly all true, but I suspect you will find in almost anying
hiring event these days the goal isn't necessarily to find the best
person for the position, but to find someone close enough with the
minimal effort.

Thus things like requiring certain degrees or certifications is an
easy way to make the effort easier as you can simply have HR/the
software being used filter out all those people applying who don't
meet your keywords...